This summer was a riot! Quite literally. Everything stared off fairly ok. Things normally start off that way with kids and animals though, don’t they? But by the middle of August we had descended into the family equivalent of Black Friday in Macy’s. Total and utter mayhem.
Rules? What’s that?
“Hmmmmm? You’re hungry? Oh yea, that’s grand – just help yourself to the fridge…..it’s only 20 minutes to dinner.”
“You didn’t have an ice-cream today? That’s scandalous!!! Let me get you one straight away!!!!”
“Why have you got your PJ’s on? It’s still before 10pm!”
Yea, yea please tell me that we are not alone in our descension into unruliness and general disorganisation topped up with a good dose of too much sugar by the end of the summer?
But happily, the school doors have been swung wide open and childers welcomed back to the fold. Thus leaving hundreds & thousands of Mum’s across Ireland and the UK doing awkward, ‘don’t actually care who is watching’ Mum dances over their steering wheels shortly after 9am every morning. Think “Big Fish, Small Fish, Cardboard box” but just BIGGER and with gusto normally reserved for the annual Christmas party. And Mama don’t even need no wine for this sorta’ dancin’!!!
It’s time to get some order on these houses again Folks!!
So let’s start with the treats.
Here is a simple healthy chocolate flapjack recipe I have adapted to my own liking ( and that of my kids). Give it a try…..you might just love it too.
Warning: this contains nuts…..lots of nuts…… the almond and pecan kind rather than the 2 year old paining my walls with crayons version. So maybe don’t put the nuts in lunch boxes…..either variety. Both can be dangerous!
2 Cups Pitted Dates
1/2 Cup Cacao (you can make these protein bars post-gym with chocolate protein powder here)
1 Cup Walnuts
1 Cup mixture of Pecans, Almonds & Cashew Nuts – chop
1/4 Cup Cacao Nibs (optional)
2 Tbsp’s Nut butter of choice (I used Almond)
2 Tbsp’s Maple Syrup or Honey
1 tbsp coconut oil
Pinch of Sea Salt
- Toast you oats & nuts at 180C for 10 minutes – watch the nuts.
- Blitz Walnuts in processor. Remove and set aside once it is well broken up like a flour.
- Blitz Dates in processor.
- Add Cacao & ground walnuts to dates and blitz some more.
- Place this mixture in a large bowl with the chopped nuts (pecans, almonds and cashews) & Cacao nibs. This is the hardest bit. Mix them up.
- Warm the nut butter and syrup/honey & coconut oil in a pan and mix through the date mixture.
- Press mixture into a tin lined with cling film. Press down firmly and place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy!!!
Your’s winging her way to sunnier climes,